Saturday, November 20, 2010

Why do you need a Second Life?

This week in class we have been learning about Second Life. Second Life is an online virtual reality game where players create avatars and live a literal "Second Life." For the most part it is the same as real life, with a few minor exceptions such as you can fly. Second Life, to me, seems like a waste of time. I already more or less have a "second life" just by having all of my social networks that I have to constantly keep up with.

However, some people have taken Second Life to the next level by making a living off of it and almost made it their first life. Take Anshe Chung for example. She managed to take Second Life and invest her time and money into being a realtor to other avatars on Second Life and she is now a millionaire. In Second Life, you buy money using real US dollars and then can also make money by selling things. Anshe has built an entire world around her real estate and her Second Life homes go for big money, making her in turn a millionaire.



The fact that this is possible absolutely blows my mind. I do not see what these people are doing with their money, why they are spending it on a fake self online as opposed to investing it in their real lives. However, if they enjoy doing it more power to them. The world will always baffle me.

No comments:

Post a Comment